TAFE and universities offer a lot of support to help people with dyslexia to make the best of their study life. However, you will need to make the effort to contact the ‘Equity and Access Service’ (this goes by different names at different institutions) and discuss your particular needs. They won't come and find you!

It’s also important to make contact with these guys early to make sure you have access to the services you need as close to the start of the semester as possible. Sometimes it can take 4-6 weeks to organise, so you may want to make contact well before the start of the semester.

Note: some universities may call this the ‘disability’ service or similar. Don’t let this put you off! It doesn’t matter what it’s called – so long it provides the services you need.

You could also be required to provide an official report of your diagnosis in order to verify that you are eligible for assistance. If you don't have one, try to get one organised before you arrive at TAFE or university. You can go to either a speech pathologist or a psychologist to get certified. The cost of an assessment can vary, there's more information on assessments here Where to Get Help. 

Dyslexia: a Teenager's Guide could help if you have left school and are transitioning into TAFE or the workplace. Take a look and let us know your thoughts.

Other useful pages: